COVID-19 Vaccine Update


Photo Courtesy of: pexels cottonbro A picture of a vaccine shot made for the COVID-19

For most parts of the country, the COVID-19 vaccination is now considered safe.

The number of COVID-19 vaccines that have been administered in the US has significantly increased since mid-January, with the help of President Joe Biden’s executive orders that released nearly all stored coronavirus vaccines for use. Now, over 63 million people have been vaccinated so far in the United States. Unfortunately, children have yet to be one of them. 

Despite the exclusion of children, the vaccines from both Pfizer and Moderna have been shown to be safe. However, there are some side effects that can typically last several days, including tiredness, headache, muscle pain, chills, joint pain, and fever. On that note, more people have experienced these side effects after the second dose rather than after the first dose, so it is important for the recipients to be aware of this after they take the second dose. Right now, Pfizer’s coronavirus vaccine is authorized for the people of the age 16 and older. However, just like any new drug, it is best to be cautious when taking the vaccine, especially for people who had negative reactions to vaccinations in the past. 

Moderna’s is designated for 18 and older. Until recently, the vaccine hadn’t initially been tested in children 12 years or younger. Vaccines are typically tested first in adults before researchers begin tests in children, once the drug has been found to be relatively safe. Moderna and Pfizer are both now testing their vaccines on kids between the ages of 12 and 17. Moderna expects to have its label expanded for the vaccine to cover those aged 12-17 years old by this summer. For now, it’s undetermined when the COVID-19 vaccine will be tested in children aged 11 and younger.

The Biden administration has bought enough doses of COVID-19 vaccines to cover 300 million people in the US by the end of July, President Joe Biden said Thursday afternoon. However, this doesn’t mean everyone will be vaccinated by then.

“We’ve now purchased enough vaccine supply to vaccinate all Americans,” Biden says.

Orange County this week will start setting aside doses of COVID-19 vaccine for workers in education, child care and food and agriculture, officials said. The county plans to dedicate 30% of its vaccine allocation to workers in those sectors, as well as to those in emergency services. The remaining 70% will go to residents 65 and older.