Trump’s Possible Impeachment


Photo taken during the 2018 Conservative Political Action Conference. Photo courtesy of: Wikimedia Commons, by Gage Skidmore, Peoria, AZ, United States of America – Donald Trump, CC BY-SA 2.0

Christian Gobres, Section Editor

On September 24, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi officially declared an impeachment inquiry against the current president, Donald Trump.

At the center of the inquiry is the whistleblower controversy, in which Trump has tried to call the Ukraine President, Volodymyr Zelensky, numerous times on July 25th. In the call, the president of the United States urged Zelensky to investigate a former vice president, Joe Biden, and his son, Hunter Biden, on the charges of helping to fire Ukraine’s prosecutor general.

The whistleblower complaint was withheld from Congress by the Trump administration. Whistleblower complaints reveals information that shows an official doing illegal or unethical activity, and due to its importance, laws were created to protect the identity of whistleblowers.

Nancy Pelosi, in her announcement last month on the 24th, stated, “The president must be accountable. No one is above the law.”

According to CNN, since the announcement of an impeachment inquiry, polls show that about 51% of the American public support the inquiry, with the other 49% being against it. For the removal of Trump from the executive office, an average of 45% agree with the impeachment.

Impeachment begins with the House of Representatives, in which a majority vote is made to pass articles of impeachment. If passed, a trial will begin with the senate and the removal of the president of the United States will need a vote of ⅔ or more.

Even though a formal announcement was made, a full House of Representative vote hasn’t been made. A full House vote isn’t necessary for the process to continue, but instead could help Republicans in the House have more power in the inquiry, as both parties will be on record for their possible support, which will also show their stance on the desire of Trump to gain political support from other foreign governments.

The final parts of the impeachment process lies within the Senate, and the current seats are occupied by a good percentage of Republicans. According to NPR, Trump has spoken about his high expectations for the Republicans.

“We’ll get it to the Senate, and then we win.”